( versione italiana )
Cascina: Province of Pisa
Surface: 78.80 Square kilometres
Resident population: 37,562
Um Drega (Sahara)
FS railway Pisa-Firenze
"Galilei" Airport – Pisa
Pisa 13 Km, Lucca 30 Km, Firenze 65 Km
An ancient borough
With its central geographical position on the Pisan plain, Cascina offers a territory rich of historical monuments, ancient villas, and still preserves part of the old town-wall and towers. This new guide aims at introducing the historical, artistical, cultural heritage of our territory, which is made of handicraft tradition and innovating process of growth in the furnishing field. We augur the latter will be more and more known and appreciated henceforth. We have to know this reality and introduce it to everyone, as a presupposition to defend and show it to better advantage inside and outside our community.
Cascina was a fortified village, corresponding to the typical law medieval "Frankish borough" plant, which presented new distinctive features in comparison with the pre-existent ancient ones. Afterwards it became an important agricultural village under the bishop of Pisa. During the XVI and XVII centuries, it became more important as an agricultural and trade centre for its peculiar position on the artery of commerce connecting Florence and the port of Pisa. Cascina had frequently been a battlefield in the fighting between Florence and Pisa. A wellknown fight took place on 29 of July 1364 and was immortalized by the painter Vasari in a picture which is shown at present in Palazzo Vecchio in Florence. After the dominion of Pisa, which lasted the whole XIV century, Cascina fell under the dominion of Florence. Afterwards it became the jurisdiction of a podestà, including 21 councils, and in 1798 it was raised to the rank of Vicariate with the title of Vicariate of Cascina and Pontedera. At the end of the XIX century it quickly developed as a centre of wood-processing so that, nowadays, Cascina is an Italian Capital of furniture.
The ancient history of the town is impressed in the numerous monuments such as Pieve di Santa Maria, Cappella del Sacramento, Oratorio di S.Giovanni, Campanile, Oratorio di Santa Croce, Palazzo Stefanini and the beautiful XIII century Town-wall, lately modified and raised.
The surrounding is studded with historical and architectonical builbings, which witness the significance and richness of a place of historical, geographical, and strategical interest.